Do NASA's observations rebut the Greens rhetoric?

spacesailor

Put the dead fish thru a dryer, then a shredder. & sell to the gardener's as "fish fertiliser"
There's money to be made even after death !.
sounds MAD but No different to seaweed, (dried (by sun, ground up, then rehydrated, ))
I buy it all the time.
spacesailor

spacesailor

your are not the only one to buy when 17% was there yenn"
It was NOT 17% when I bought, but greedy keeling pushed it as far as the courts, were it was called "profiteering" & the bank told to reign it in.
( house owner @ Brighton-Le-Sands NSW)
It made me put ALL my wage on that mortgage & live on the wifes small wage.
The Bank took a hit when people I know paid off that mortgage super quick. ( and had to repay excessive interest they Thought I would be paying over the next ten years).,
spacesailor

Bruce

There is a bush called "poison emu bush" which the aborigines used to use. I bet they would have used something more powerful if they had it.
Yep, space, I remember those excessive interest rates. Ours was capped at 13.5 percent but some new ones were up to 17 percent.
The mortgage was only 40,000 dollars though. No way could kids these days pay big interest on their colossal mortgages.

Bruce

litespeed, it would be a wonderful project to make a car or plane from only natural materials. I don't see how it could be done, but I didn't know about some of the things you mentioned either.

facthunter

I think the "stunned mullet" is from a process of flogging them near the back of the head in shallow water. I could be wrong but I've seen it done. White fellers do poison waterholes and creeks and rivers and AQUIFERS (even worse) with CSG and fracking. Notable case In point, Mc Arthur river NT. mineral mining, Cockle Creek north lake Macquarie years ago with Sulphide Corp.. OK Tedi Mine in PNG. There are thousands of ruined rivers particularly in areas where gold has been mined Phosphates from detergents also everywhere and unused medicines dumped in toilets We are trashing the world. Remember the plastic island in the pacific.Nev

nomadpete

Regarding plastics...
I vaguely remember reading about Henry Ford developing a source of plastic not made from oil. Vegan plastic?
He wanted to have control over the source of the material. And that was back in the days when plastic only represented 2% of his cars!

Litespeed

Most will not know that Henry Ford never wanted his cars to be petrol powered but preferred bio fuels which were common up to the 1940's. He had a estate at mount Michigan were he grew Hemp and made products including car parts from it for prototypes and fuel.

He was forced literally at the barrel of a gun to stop by the government as it had made growing hemp illegal in the 1930's after a campaign by Randolf Hearst and the Dupont family. These guys controlled the chemical oil plastics industry and newspapers, with Hearst having been given free access to Nth Americas forests to make paper from- a extremely polluting process that used products from Dupont.

Here is a video about Fords Hemp car, there are better videos out there I will search.

We must keep in mind this was a cellulose based plastic.

Also note a lot of information on the web and elsewhere is written and created by those with a bias against hemp and other bio products as it is against there current business model just as it was 80 years ago.

Litespeed

Here are some vids on Hempcrete which is a low cost waste product from fibre making added with lime and water. The videos tend to say it is new but that is all bullshite, just a company flogging their stuff. It has been around in various forms thousands of years and ages to go rock hard and will last thousands of years as it naturally petrifies.

Also the homes they are building are only a half way tech as they still use a lot more timber than is necessary, but that is because the are still in the modern building mindset.

Also note the clever home block building machine in Thailand, could pump out thousands a day for low cost, let the dry and bingo, load supporting low weight blocks. Hempcrete can be fully load supporting when done to its best. It is also fireproof, vermin proof and pretty much idiot proof.It is also very light weight so loads in the structure are far lower and much easier on the worker building it. The use of Hempcrete can even be seen back in roman times and many of these structures still stand today.

spraying hempcrete can also be done

And yes Hemp is now been grown in Australia so the materials are available and will become cheaper as more farmers get into it. Remember this is actually a waste material from making fibre. So potentially can be extremely cheap- think bagasse from sugar cane cheap.

Litespeed

This is from 2012 a Landline ABC program, Note the stupidity of government. Finally Hemp is allowed for Foods from 2018.

Why do I know so much?
I had a research licence for growing it at UWS Hawkesbury in 1997-1998.

We could have had a industry by now but pig headed pollies and vested interests kept stopping it.

Litespeed

And a whole side panel of a small car from Hemp Plastic, here Henry Rollins gets out some anger!

As I have said the ability is out there we just need the will to do it.

Litespeed

Here is a Hemp skateboard- the deck is hemp and 100% bio resin.

And a electric scooter with a monocoque frame of hemp and a small amount of flax. No steel frame and no plastic bodywork. Huge savings in material and eco friendly.

pmccarthy

There wouldn’t be one thousandth of enough spare farmland in the world to grow enough hemp to replace the petroleum feedstocks that we use at present. It would be like the destruction of Malaysia’s forests to grow palm oil. Hemp products are great and we will see more of them I’m sure, but they will remain very marginal.

Old Koreelah

This is from 2012 a Landline ABC program, Note the stupidity of government. Finally Hemp is allowed for Foods from 2018...
Almost thirty years ago a video doco about industrial hemp growing was doing the rounds. Several local farmers were keen to invest, impressed by hemp's low impact on the environment, low water use and rapid growth. It's major "disadvantage" was it doesn't need lots of chemicals to grow, so the agri-chemical industry opposed it. Stupd, timid (corrupt?) governments ensured that idea withered on the vine.

old man emu

Point of historical interest.

It is a fact that one of the goals of the establishment of the colony of NSW by the British was to obtain land on which to grow hemp fibre. The fibre was essential for rope-making which the British Navy needed by the mile. Allied to this was the need for suitable timber for ship repairs, which was available on Norfolk Island. The Port Jackson settlement was envisaged as being a major naval base from which the British could control the South Pacific and Asian trade. Since the colony was to be set up on terra nullis there would be no danger of local rulers revolting and taking over the Naval establishments and industries.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that the British only established the colony as a dumping ground for the "dregs of British goals". There were far more important political and military reasons. The British simply used an available manpower pool. Transportation to the colonies had been going on from 1610 to 1775. It was only from 1775 to 1787 that the British investigated other destinations for transportation. During those 12 years prisoners sentenced to transportation were indeed held on decommissioned ships (hulks) in various ports, but they did not live in squalor. Records indicate that a prisoner was better off on a hulk than in a prison on land.

Once the Port Jackson colony was better established, there was a fairly specific set of criteria that convicted persons had to meet before being sentenced to transportation. Mostly these criteria included being late teens to mid-twenties in age; previous employment history in occupations useful in the colony, and literacy skills. The British wanted people who either had skills, or had the intelligence to be taught new skills. Sure, the offences that brought a lot of these people to the notice of the Law were what we would consider trivial, but as a means of assessing a wide range of potential colonists, they were OK.

You have to also see how these transportees fared after they completed their sentences, and also look at the letters they sent back to their families in Britain, encouraging those who could to get on a boat and get out here. In many cases, a sentence of transportation was a winning Lotto ticket.

Bruce

1775 is the year of the American revolution, after which the british could no longer use America. So settlement of Australia was a side-effect of that revolution.

Top Bottom