Hospital wait times

octave

Are you suggesting that
"Asians tend to be nerdy but not well rounded" ?

What sort of generalisation is that?
lol no, I am suggesting that is a commonly held stereotype, but not held by me. I have been teaching since 1990 and although I have not kept a list of how many students I have taught hundreds of students and I can honestly say that least useful predictor of success, failure or mediocrity is ethnicity or culture, if it is there it is small and overshadowed by other things. I have found at least in my field that parental involvement does actually play a part.

facthunter

IF you study a lot, you get luckier at exam time.. Tertiary level education relies more on self motivation, and it assumes you are more capable of believing and working with that. Nev

nomadpete

Octave, is it possible that your generalisation (that ability is not race specific) is skewed by the fact that your experience with those hundreds of students is only drawn from the motivated and passionate section of the populace?

nomadpete

" If we accept that different groups have particular characteristics, how do we use this information?

What stereotypes can we apply to Australian men?"

With regard to the first,
Why would one wish to use this information? To what end? These are esoteric questions. I don't understand how or why one would use stereotype information to relate to an individual, since generalisations, by their nature are not specific to individuals.

With regard to the second,
I have no interest in what stereotypes that may be applied to the 'average' Aussie males, or females, apart from having a laugh at the way that stereotypes don't seem to fit most of the people I know.

I'm sorry to hear your son has been having problems. We visited Christchurch before and after vthe quake.(if that's what you are referring to). NZ is a nice place. I deeply admire the work you do. Unfortunately I haven't a musical bone in my body (I'm a typical Aussie white middle aged, poorly educated male). Thank you for the debate.

Personally, I wait until an individual says or does something before I start making judgements. After that it's open slather.

octave

" If we accept that different groups have particular characteristics, how do we use this information?

What stereotypes can we apply to Australian men?"

With regard to the first,
Why would one wish to use this information? To what end? These are esoteric questions. I don't understand how or why one would use stereotype information to relate to an individual, since generalisations, by their nature are not specific to individuals.

With regard to the second,
I have no interest in what stereotypes that may be applied to the 'average' Aussie males, or females, apart from having a laugh at the way that stereotypes don't seem to fit most of the people I know.

I'm sorry to hear your son has been having problems. We visited Christchurch before and after vthe quake.(if that's what you are referring to). NZ is a nice place. I deeply admire the work you do. Unfortunately I haven't a musical bone in my body (I'm a typical Aussie white middle aged, poorly educated male). Thank you for the debate.

Personally, I wait until an individual says or does something before I start making judgements. After that it's open slather.
Sorry been bit of a tough day in my usually easy life.

If there is no point in using a stereotype then perhaps there is no point in holding a stereotype. I guess this is my point. I am in no way suggesting you are. Nah my son left a day before, but when I enquired about the incident he said "bloody Aussies"

Bruce

Since I accept that different groups have particular characteristics, I hereby bet that I will donate to Octave's choice of charity $50 every time a person of Chinese appearance ( Includes Japanese, Koreans etc ) wins the 100 metres gold medal at the Olympics.
And I'm not a racist because my bike is too slow, I'm only a bit misogynistic and only a bit alcoholic.

nomadpete

So, Bruce, you fit one and a half points in the stereotype test.

I get about the same, bike is no racer, no idea what a misogynist is (I'll ask my wife), maybe i'm a little higher on the alcohol though.

I'll still talk to you though.

octave

Since I accept that different groups have particular characteristics, I hereby bet that I will donate to Octave's choice of charity $50 every time a person of Chinese appearance ( Includes Japanese, Koreans etc ) wins the 100 metres gold medal at the Olympics.
And I'm not a racist because my bike is too slow, I'm only a bit misogynistic and only a bit alcoholic.
What characteristics do ageing Aussie men have?

Whilst at the leading edge of performance it may be true that there may be no Asian Olympic medalists in running (and you know I am going to look it up) this does not mean that I would win a running race with 20 random Asians...... does it? it is said (but of course I need to check the facts) that men are better at maths than women. I haven't done formal maths since 1979 but my wife taught maths for several years. Draw your own conclusions as to which one of us an INTELLIGENT person would ask for help with a maths problem

nomadpete

Octave,
My point is that we all do a fair bit of sweeping judgements. Its a part of how we deal with the complexity of our social structure, and the high population pressure. As you pointed out, generalisations can easily lead us astray. But our minds cannot cope with the vast breadth of detail that we are bombarded with. I hope we regularly challenge our generalisations.

Just like someone saying "Bloody Aussies!"
Which is a generalisation that suggests that the typical Aussie male can be expected to commit atrocities.

nomadpete

It wasn't meant to hurt, just meant as an example of everyday generalisations.

And as for identifying a profile of the Stereotypical Aussie, you'd probably find a different answer from each person you ask. Because a generalisation is an individual's sweeping judgement. It is a summary based on the individuals personal experience filtered through the paradigm of that individuals other preconceived notions. So there is a lot of Lattitude for each stereotype to fit maybe one example but not the majority of the demographic being stereotyped.

Last edited:

Bruce

Once we were needing an ambulance at 3am to transport a mentally disturbed ( but oth erwise docile ) girl to hospital. I offered to drive her there, but the local GP who was there said I wouldn't get in.
Initially, the GP was told that because there was only an all-female crew on that shift, they couldn't take a mental patient. This was their rules.

I present this as evidence that gender equality is just not true. Those female crews could not offer the same service at all.
Now you can think of gender-neutral tests, like can the ambulance crew subdue a violent big man.. I can imagine some females who could, and some males who could not. So why not do tests like this to determine who gets the job?

octave

I note that the Chinese excel at table tennis does this mean that they are genetically endowed in some way? A more rational explanation may be that the Chinese government funds certain sports due to some notion of national identity? Australia has traditionally done well in swimming. Is this because of some kind of genetic disposition, probably not. More likely to do with our climate combined with our beach loving culture as weoll as some past success. Does this mean that Asians are unsuited to swimming ..... unlikely?

red750

Take any stereotypical characteristic you like, and I do not fit that characteristic. I'm the most boring person you ever came across.
Don't drink, don't smoke, don't have tattoos, haven't played sport since school, haven't been to a footy game this century, my only drugs are prescribed medications, celebate for more than 15 years. (too much information), haven't been to a cinema this century. Yes, I have attended a few concerts - Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, John Fogarty, etc.

octave

Take any stereotypical characteristic you like, and I do not fit that characteristic. I'm the most boring person you ever came across.
Don't drink, don't smoke, don't have tattoos, haven't played sport since school, haven't been to a footy game this century, my only drugs are prescribed medications, celebate for more than 15 years. (too much information), haven't been to a cinema this century. Yes, I have attended a few concerts - Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, John Fogarty, etc.

You are a typical Australian, by that I mean unpredictable and unique.

pmccarthy

Average Aussie bloke has lots of opinions he shares with his mates but never when there’s is a woman around. He drinks too much, is overweight, doesn’t exercise, hates bicycles, does what his missus tells him. Or maybe that’s just me. He can’t land properly either.

spacesailor

EVER see a musician do Manual-labour,
FOR that mater EVER see a plumber "Wipe a lead joint".
EVER see a TV repair-man "solder" a PC board.
The list of Multi talented people is diminishing VERY quickly.
Mended a punctured tyre lately, (with a patch), most people can't/won't use tyre-irons, Those dainty pinkies.
spacesailor

Top Bottom