Is it worth reporting on politics?

spacesailor

And I've been saying it for years. LoL
Very glad I've got a suporter.
Way back in the 50ties Before that computer invention,
I read about that meteor strike North of America, with the burn vegetation mark going all the way south to Mexico,
I still can't understand, Gypsum (a rock?) being hurtled into the upper atmosphere & burning like a cinder fire, to cook all the large animals by infrared heat.
spaceailor

Old Koreelah

...I read about that meteor strike North of America, with the burn vegetation mark going all the way south to Mexico,..
Thanks for raising that subject, Spacey. Lots of evidence points to a major event about 12,000 years ago. That’s when most megafauna went extinct worldwide. As with the sudden extinction of dinosaurs (65mya) an impact crater has recently been discovered, in Greenland. The global apocalypse associated with it might also have wiped out any advanced human civilization- and there's plenty of evidence all over the world for that.

spacesailor

ATLANTIS
Alas, I fear, gone forever but linger's on in our minds.
My meteor strike was a little over 40 million years ago, hit a GYPSUM site & shot it up into the air, either Canada or Alaska.
spacesailor

spacesailor

OUR OWN
Wolf Creek Crater, is 50 kmtr across, AND then this one puts all other's into insignificance :
"Scientists say underground 'scars' in central Australia mark the largest meteorite crater ever found. Scientists have discovered two deep scars in the earth's crust in outback Australia that are believed to mark the remains of a meteorite crater with a 250-mile diameter – the largest ever found.Mar 23, 2015 "
Not in my Ripley's believe it or not, Or the Guinness book of records.
It's a conspiracy.
spacesailor

willedoo

OUR OWN
Wolf Creek Crater, is 50 kmtr across, AND then this one puts all other's into insignificance :
"Scientists say underground 'scars' in central Australia mark the largest meteorite crater ever found. Scientists have discovered two deep scars in the earth's crust in outback Australia that are believed to mark the remains of a meteorite crater with a 250-mile diameter – the largest ever found.Mar 23, 2015 "
Not in my Ripley's believe it or not, Or the Guinness book of records.
It's a conspiracy.
spacesailor
spacesailor, Wolf Creek Crater is a small one, less than 1k in diameter. Still impressive to fly over though. It's got a lot of shape to it as they say it's only about 300,000 years old. Another one worth looking at is Gosses Bluff Crater, west of Alice. Supposed to be about 140 million years old. Looking at it, it's hard to get your head around that what you are seeing was once 1k beneath the original surface.

spacesailor

I must have been very tired as it felt like I walked miles, going up the rim down & across, Under the Tree's in the centre.
"880 meters (2,890 feet) in diameter,"
There i a lot of craters around the Alice area !, must admit not seeing the Gosses Bluff Crater,
Looking at the map I must have driven right passed it. (perhaps not visible if not looking for it).Saw every-thing else around the area, (paid $7 toll for Hermannsburg rd.
spacesailor

willedoo

must admit not seeing the Gosses Bluff Crater,
Looking at the map I must have driven right passed it. (perhaps not visible if not looking for it).Saw every-thing else around the area, (paid $7 toll for Hermannsburg rd.
spacesailor
As a crater, it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. We drove past it assuming it was just another flat top rock formation. Several k's further on, there was a sign to a viewing area, so we drove up there and read the story board. That's the first I knew of it as a crater.

gosse_bluff_crater.jpg

old man emu

Wolf Creek Crater - Dreamtime story.

There are two Aboriginal stories about the formation of this crater. One says that it is the hole that a Rainbow Serpent came out from the ground before doing its thing.

The other is a story that, if one accepts that all myths have a kernel of truth, is that one day the crescent moon and the evening star passed very close to each other. The evening star became so hot that it fell to the ground, causing an enormous explosion and flash, followed by a dust cloud.

That, to me, is a good description of a meteor impact. Relating the second story to Wolf Creek may be an error as there is a meteorite impact field at Henbury, southwest of Alice Springs. This impact has been dated to about 4,500 years ago. This means that the impact was witnessed by Aborigines.

Bruce

Australia is way too stupid to innovate with nuclear power stations, but what will we do when the Chinese have lots of cheap and safe power stations but still have fewer carbon emissions? Will we all commit mass suicide or what?
Conventional power stations using molten salt for coolant will be safe and are not far from starting. Then hybrid fission/fusion will be next. During this time, Australia will be caught in the dark ages of Chernobyl fears etc and burning coal while the world fries.

spacesailor

Australia LEAD the world with thermal. Only something went "Wrong"
I know not what !.
Drilling down into the Earth's hot Rock interior. (Moomba Perhaps )
Then Nothing.
spacesailor

spacesailor

Australia lead the world with SOLAR.
First Town solar powered in the World.
Lightning Ridge.
Check out their history.
What next in Australia, Who knows what lay's ahead.
IF you can foretell the future tell me next weeks Lotto numbers.
spacesailor

Marty_d

On politics politics, I see Clive P is in strife again - going to be sued for plagiarizing "Karma Chameleon" for his game app. Palmer Chameleon.
Any publicity is good publicity. There'll be idiots out there that vote for him because they saw a cartoon version gobbling biscuits. If you believe a word that comes out of his mouth, I have a lovely bridge you may be interested in.

willedoo

Australia LEAD the world with thermal. Only something went "Wrong"
I know not what !.
Drilling down into the Earth's hot Rock interior. (Moomba Perhaps )
Then Nothing.
spacesailor
The hot rocks project at Innaminka shut down in August 2016, as it wasn't economically viable to produce the power in the middle of nowhere. I think they got it working though. When I last worked out that way in 2011, they were still battling away, but they must have lost a lot of money. Early in the piece they had trouble with the well, lost circulation or something, so they had to start all over again and drill a new well. Not sure what it costs to drill the well that deep, probably at least 20 mil.

I think they were hoping to sell power to the oil and gas companies like Santos, Beach etc., but they would have also got caught up in the oil price slump. Around that time Santos was struggling to survive, so the last thing they would spent money on would be overpriced power. It would be a big infrastructure cost to run the power to Moomba from Innaminka. A lot cheaper for Santos to run diesel generators on their own crude.

Last edited:

Old Koreelah

Australia is way too stupid to innovate with nuclear power stations, but what will we do when the Chinese have lots of cheap and safe power stations but still have fewer carbon emissions?...
On current trends, Bruce, we'll have most of our buildings covered in solar panels, there will be neighbourhood battery banks and e-cars integrated into the whole system. Our carbon emissions will be plummeting towards levels not seen since our great-great grandparents' days and our economy will have weaned itself off exporting coal.

Bruce

That would be nice old K. All we humans need is to solve global warming, resource depletion and overpopulation while we spend the resources needed on the military. We have maybe 10 years to do that.
On the SA geothermal story...
I lost money investing in the SA hot rocks, and what happened was that their stainless steel bore casings rusted out too quickly and this made the project non-viable.
Under certain chemical circumstances, stainless steel can rust out just as fast as anything.
What a shame huh... natural energy, always available, which could be turned on and off real fast and complement the wind and solar. A good investment huh.
Actually, it is the radioactivity of granite rocks which is the true source of the energy, but the greenies would never know that.

facthunter

Can you explain to me just how having a few (non Nuclear) submarines that everybody knows where they are and who puts them together achieves? We have only 5 weeks of liquid fuels here. and told not to worry about that.!!!.
Bruce, Nuclear adds heat to the equation and is REALLY hard to clean up and COSTLY. can't be wound up and down that easily and needs the GRID unless you use little ones all over the place. Solar is landing here anyhow and It's a very safe nuclear source being 93 million miles away and is going to last far longer than we can imagine or conceive seeing humanoids have only been around for about 300 thousand years. Nev

Old Koreelah

That would be nice old K. All we humans need is to solve global warming, resource depletion and overpopulation while we spend the resources needed on the military. We have maybe 10 years to do that...
I totally agree, Bruce; time is running out. We're all in the same leaky boat,

...On the SA geothermal story...Actually, it is the radioactivity of granite rocks which is the true source of the energy, but the greenies would never know that.
Bruce that's a disappointingly ignorant comment. I have been promoting "hot rocks" for decades and I'm sorry you lost money in the venture.
I agree many "greenies" are not the sharpest tools in the workshop, but I'd suggest there is far more education and intelligence among green voters than those who support the extreme right wing.

Top Bottom