Sorry for reverting the site

Admin

Administrator
I would like to apologise to everyone for reverting the site back from the proposed new software platform. There were some small issues with it but apart from that I really like the platform we have but there are some strategic reasons why we needed to move on to a new platform, one being that we need to follow what our sister site, Recreational Flying, does. However I really want to make sure that I have explored ALL options first.

So, once again I apologise for any inconvenience.

Marty_d

No worries Ian - if you ask me it's better this way (the reverted one).

One thing I noticed with the new look was there wasn't a range of "likes" like there is here. Sometimes you want to tell someone that something they posted was funny, or helpful, or informative... not just that you like it.

Admin

Administrator
Thanks Marty, unfortunately that was discussed, the reasons for it, just before I reverted the site so it is still sitting in the new software site. Basically they do exist in the new software but I have turned them off as they need to be converted first so I didn't want any new ones stuffing up the conversion. Needless to say that if/when we go to the new software the post likes system will be the same as they were/now (reverted)

Admin

Administrator
This is what I said in the new software version site:

@David2ayo if you are referring to the Post Likes System then yes, I would agree with you however I have had to currently turn them off and just leave a "Like" available till I can convert all the Likes over to the new software. It is a tricky process due to different "hash", different postID's, different userID's etc so please if you can just hold off on that for a little longer.

@old man emu you would not believe what I have been going through in trying to decide whether to change over or not, I have an ulcer from it. The issue is that the Xenforo software platform provides just a Forum, Media and Resources. It is fantastic forum software but to build a full resource site Xenforo relies completely on 3rd party developers with most of them being just backyarders. So when Xenforo upgrades many of those 3rd party addon developers shoot through leaving site owners without anything the same to provide their users not to mention the many that just take your money and don't provide any support so you are stuck with faulty sections of a site. The minute that Xenforo v2 came out just about all the 3rd party addon developers stopped all support for their Xenforo v1 addons. This is why I had to upgrade to Xenforo v2 early this year. That was also a problem because there are so many issues with Xenforo v2 that I am pulling my hair out.

Now if you look at Facebook and what a Facebook group provides you get a Forum, Media with photos and videos, File downloads and a massive quick social engagement platform. Now compare that to the Xenforo platform i.e. Recreational Flying and you basically have the same. How is any forum based web site going to compete against Facebook. Many of the old forum sites that I have belonged to have shut up shop and gone to facebook...why has Recreational Flying stagnated for so long now? There are people registering but the post count per day is decreasing, there is no growth even with new users. Recreational Flying has stagnated for such a long time now that it will eventually end and I see so many users now creating Facebook groups because there is nothing that can give more than Forums, Media and Files.

The only way out of this, I believe, is to offer much much more than what Facebook can give, something so comprehensive in every single thing on a given subject, that users will keep using Recreational Flying as it will be packed with every conceivable feature, so much more than just a Forum, Media and Files. I can ask all the current users what they like about the Recreational Flying site and they will all say it is great as it is now, BUT the biggest thing is what those that don't use the site are looking for, they are the ones that hold the key in making the site greater but you can't ask them as they don't use the site so you don't know who they are.

I really really wish there was some other way out of this but I just can't think of it...go to Facebook, not on your life, stick with a paid for solution of Xenforo in Forums, media and Files, well that has stagnated, or bite the bullet in a last ditched attempt to provide everything there is to the current and POTENTIAL users. I love Xenforo but not to Recreational Flying's death.

The new software platform provides Forums, Media and Files but also Clubs, Articles, Lists, Blogs, multiple Calendars, Classifieds, Suppliers and more...so what do I do???

old man emu

Ian,
If the functionality of both sites can be adversely affected by the comings and goings of 3rd Party developers, then I agree that you should seek out a stable, supported platform.

My comment to you about wee willy, came about because the change in appearance was so radical, and it seemed that a lot of features of the old appearance, which many of us have come to understand how to use and appreciate were not there.

When you find a stable platform you may have to post a real long readme.txt to show the new features.

I'll pop down to the barber's tomorrow and pick up some locks to replace the ones you have torn out.

Admin

Administrator
The advantage of the new software platform, and the reason why I was/am going with it is that everything with the exception of the Classifieds and Suppliers is from the one company so I know that when they update, they update it all. The Classifieds and Suppliers are from respected developers.

Top Bottom