Syria

Phil Perry

U.S. Ambassador Bolt said ( At a WH Press briefing ) that a 'Lot' of US 'Advisers' AND troops will be sent to Syria.

Why I wonder ? this conflict is all but done. Assad has most of his country back, courtesy of the Russians and a disparate number of Iranian backed militias. What the feck is trump up to now. . .( Rhetorical )

willedoo

Hard to say, Phil. Maybe they'll all be going to the Kurdish area. There was some talk a day or two ago about joint Turkish / US peacekeeping type actions there. In my opinion, the fact that the Turks have been sitting on both sides of the fence for a while possibly has a bit of a stabilizing influence.

This delivery of S-300 systems to the Syrian military might make Israel think a bit harder about crossing the border in future. Their plan is to integrate with the Russian systems there with about three months training time for Syrian crews. The US is not impressed.

Phil Perry

That is another Oxymoron, ie, Turks in a Kurdish area 'Peacekeeping' . . .Erdogan has vowed to wipe out every last Kurd on the planet and would fight any attempt to allow them their own bit of land. . . .curiouser and curiouser ( said Alice )

willedoo

So Trump has announced a pull out from Syria after talking to the Turkish President on the phone. It's looking like he's prepared to hang the Kurds out to dry to prevent any fighting between NATO allies.

I was reading an article today by an American analyst who thinks Trump will back down on the decision.

willedoo

It gets curiouser and curiouser.

It's been reported that the Syrian Arab Army has entered Manbij for the first time since the war began, and hoisted the Syrian flag. Supposedly, it was requested by the Kurdish fighters who are bugging out. I guess they thought Syrian control was preferable to Turkish control over the city. The Turks said they were coming to get the Kurds but after the phone call with the orange haired comedian, delayed it until the Americans were withdrawn from the area.

At the moment, a Turkish military convoy has crossed the border on the way to Manbij and American helicopters are buzzing around the sky above town. Possibly they're covering retreating Kurds. Turkish President Erdogan has said that if no Kurdish forces are there, their job will be done. By that he probably means they will go back home if Syria and Russia can guarantee the Kurdish forces do not return to the area.

Meanwhile, in the big cities, life is starting to return to normal:

willedoo

The Kurds have said they're vacating and going somewhere else to fight IS. Probably away from the Turks and where they can get a bit of U.S. air cover. It will be interesting to see what sort of deal they get when the war's finally over.

Top Bottom